Tuesday, January 15, 2002

Mary, Bloody Mary by Caroline Meyer

Mary, Bloody Mary by Caroline Meyer

By the time I was ten I had grown so much like him that what happened changed my life forever. I had his fair skin, his blue eyes, and his shinning red-gold hair. I even had his fiery temper.

Oh I loved my father so much. In my eyes King Henry was the handsomest man in the world, and I was his "perfect pearl", the Princess of Wales, first in line for succession to the throne.

But all this changed when I turned eleven. For shortly after my birthday, Anne Boleyn came to court. With her dark beauty and clever wit, she beguiled my father. She turned him against my mother, and led him to abandon me. Because of this evil woman who called herself queen, I almost lost my life. And for these crimes, Anne Boleyn deserved to die.

You think me cruel! You think me unjust! Well before judging me come and hear my story. I lost everything, my position, my honor, my mother's companionship, and my father's love. But I have survived, and now with my father's murderous behavior as the model I am determined to be queen.

I am Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary by Caroline Meyer

By Tom Reynolds, Sno-Isle Library System

2002 Evergreen Nomination

No comments:

Post a Comment