Wednesday, January 16, 2002

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson


Speak - by Laurie Halse Anderson
I don't know why I called 911 at that August “back-to-school” party. I didn't mean to shut the party down or get all those kids taken in for underage drinking. Why does everyone assume I did it on purpose? Even my friends from middle school won't talk to me, sit near me, or have anything to do with me. Even my ex-best friend Rachel hasn't even tried to find out why I did it. She just pretends I'm not even there.
I never thought being in a crowd could be so lonely, but when I walk into the school cafeteria for lunch, I don't even know where to sit. There's not a single welcoming table. No one wants me. If I could just disappear altogether, I'd be happy--or at least not so depressed. Maybe there's a closet somewhere I can hide in.
And why is this senior football player, Andy Evans, bugging me? Where does he seem to know me from? It's not like we travel in the same social circles. Like I have a social circle. Ha. Ha. I've heard he's asked Rachel to the spring prom, but why do I feel that has something to do with me? Can't I just stay in my closet? Or will I finally have to SPEAK.
Read SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson
By Peg Dombek, Seattle Public Library

2002 Evergreen Nomination

No comments:

Post a Comment